Before the Trip
Before you leave, you'll want to make sure your pet can get used to longer drives. Take them on short drives a few weeks prior, making each drive slightly longer than the last. This way, they'll be able to get used to spending increased time in the vehicle, making them feel less anxious for longer journeys. You can ensure the safety and security of your pets by purchasing a large and comfortable carrier for them. It should be large enough so that they can sit, stand, lie down, and turn around in. Also having them get used to it before you leave on your trip is a good idea.
What to Pack
Depending on where you travel, you may or may not need your pet's rabies vaccination records. Some states require proof of this at interstate crossings. While this isn't usually an issue, it's better to be safe than sorry. You should also make sure you pack these items to ensure your pet enjoys a safe and fun ride:
- Food and water with bowls
- Waste scoop
- Plastic bags
- Any medication needed
- Bed for sleeping
- Collar w/tag imprinted with your address/phone number
- Favorite toy/pillow
- Paper towels/stain and odor remover (just in case!)
During the Trip
While your pets are bound to enjoy the fun ride, it's up to you as the owner to remain attentive and make sure that your pet has everything it may need for an enjoyable experience. About three to four hours before you leave, you should feed your pet a light meal. From there, you should feed them every time you stop to use the bathroom or if they have to use the bathroom. Don't feed them in a moving vehicle! Other tips that can help make or break your drive may include:
- Bring bottled or tap water so your pet doesn't get an upset stomach with unfamiliar water.
- Make sure your pet's crate is well secured and ventilated to maximize safety and comfortability.
- Don't leave your animal alone in your vehicle on a hot or cold day! Your vehicle works like a furnace or freezer and can severely harm a dog if left unchecked, even with the windows down.
- If you drive a pickup, do not let your pet sit in the truck bed for extended periods of time. They can fall out or potentially be harmed by road debris.
- Stop frequently (at least 2-3 hours in between drives) so you and your pet can stretch and use the bathroom if needed.
- Make sure to call ahead to your hotel or wherever you're staying to ensure that your room is pet friendly.
After the Trip
Now that you're home, it's time to relax and get everything taken out of your vehicle. Once you're unpacked, you'll want to get your vehicle back up to speed as soon as possible. If your pet sheds frequently and your backseat is now coated in hair, use the "rubber glove" trick to get as much fur as you can. Moisten a rubber glove and use it to collect loose pet hair for easy removal, then finish off the job with your vacuum cleaner. A great way to manage fur is to invest in a seat cover or keep your pets in your crate. If you sprinkle baking soda on your floor and cloth seats and vacuum it after leaving it overnight, your vehicle will smell good as new!
Hitting the road with your pet is one of the most enjoyable experiences you and your furry friend can share together. Making sure that you both are safe is the number one way to enjoy your ride without any hassle. Now that you know how to travel with pets, you can get started on your vacation with ease! Use our organizational car hacks to tidy up your vehicle for any journey you undertake, and use our road trip tips to make the most of your drive, no matter how long or short. Before you leave, make sure you have your vehicle inspected to make sure you'll be able to drive without any difficulties or inconveniences.
At Serra of Traverse City, we’re happy to offer you the best dealership experience in the Cherry Capital area. You can find the latest selection of Audi, Nissan, Toyota, VW, and Volvo vehicles at our North Campus location at 1301 S Garfield Ave, Traverse City, MI. If you’re looking for the newest Cadillac and Subaru inventory, or our Collision Center, our South Campus is located at 1747 S Garfield Ave, Traverse City, MI 49686. Our used vehicles and certified pre-owned headquarters is just across the street.
Follow us on: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Serra Cadillac Subaru Google+, Serra Nissan Volvo Google+, Serra Audi Toyota VW Google+, Serra Toyota Google+, Collision Center Google+, and YouTube